The Department of Recreation and Community Services strives to promote healthy lifestyles, personal development and fun by offering recreational and educational programs for people of all ages and abilities. Each of these programs is designed to:
- Improve the academic achievement of students during non-school hours through tutoring and Community Learning Center activities.
- Strengthen family bonds via classes and programs that promote fitness, creativity, and other shared experiences.
- Reduce crime in neighborhoods by offering youth constructive after-school activities in a safe, structured environment.
- Enhance the general well-being of residents through a wide variety of youth-and adult-enrichment programs.
Milwaukee Recreation's mission is to enrich and strengthen the community by promoting healthy lifestyles, personal development, and fun through memorable recreational and educational experiences for people of all ages and abilities.
To be the leading provider of quality and affordable recreation services in the Milwaukee community.
- Equity - Ensuring access to recreation services for all.
- Accountability - Taking individual and collective responsibility.
- Memorable Experiences - Creating special, distinctive recreation experiences.
- Professional Staff - Employing staff who possess the core competencies of the department.
- Quality Service Delivery - Exceeding customer expectations through responsive and respectful service delivery.
- Sense of Community - Providing services that encourage personal connections and relationships.
- Collaborations and Partnerships - Fostering and maintaining partnerships with individuals and organizations that benefit the community.
- In 2017, the Recreation Department conducted a review and update of its plan. This was designed to confirm mission, vision and values; establish future direction; align the organization with a common vision; and strengthen organizational competencies related to strategic thinking.
- Four themes continue to provide direction for the strategic work of the Recreation Department: Exceeding Customer Expectations, Financial Sustainability, Operational Excellence, and Staff Empowerment. Click on the above link for more details.