The Recreation Department periodically hires full-time program and clerical staff positions. However, such vacancies are managed by the district Office of Human Resources (OHR). Potential applicants should search for official full-time vacancies on the district website. Look for and apply to such Administrator/Supervisor Positions on the MPS Job Openings page.
This is by far our biggest and most active list of departmental openings, whereby we fill 2,500 part-time seasonal positions annually. View Part-Time Recreation Staff Positions on the MPS Job Openings page (Valid street address required when applying. No P.O. Box accepted).
- Building directors, clerks and monitors
- Camp directors and staff
- Field attendants, umpires and referees
- Lifeguards and swim instructors
- Adult and child enrichment instructors
- Wellness coordinators
On-boarding of coaches and athletic directors (ADs) requires a unique approach because local school administrators typically serve as hiring officials. Accordingly, such vacancies are not commingled among the part-time/seasonal vacancies who are hired by program staff. For the convenience of applicants, our department posts Coaches/Athletic Director Positions on our Vacancies (Coaches & Athletic Directors) page.
If you would like to earn extra money and advance your swimming skills while protecting the safety of others, sign up for one of our Lifeguard Training Classes. Or, if you think you'd like to teach others to swim enroll in a Water Safety Instructor Course. These American Red Cross courses are typically offered in Fall, Winter and Spring. Employment opportunities are available for individuals who successfully complete each course and become certified according to the American Red Cross criteria. Join the Milwaukee Recreation aquatics team!
For more information, call 414-647-3838 or email email@example.com.
Therapeutic Recreation Programs serve Individuals with disabilities. We are looking for energetic individuals who are interested in working with people with disabilities and their families.
Summer and school-year employment positions are available for individuals at least 18 years old (some positions available for minors).
- Great learning experience, especially. for those individuals pursuing or working in education/special education
- Work alongside respectful, caring, and supportive individuals
- Build life-long friendships with participants and other staff members
- Group leaders
For more information, call 414-647-6065 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are very appreciative of the wide variety of volunteers who assist our recreation programming. A small example of volunteerism in our Recreation program includes such activities as:
- Gilbert Brown Football Camp Assistant (MPS Recreation)
- Community Center Instructor (MPS Recreation)
- Recreation Building Monitor (multiple locations available)
- Youth Sports Coach - General (multiple locations available)
- Youth Tackle Football Coach (multiple locations available)
Complete the volunteer application here!