Celebrate the start of the 2023-24 school year with MPS and Milwaukee Recreation at the 16th annual MPS Run Back to School!
Join us for this 5K run/1.5-mile walk through Washington Park. Proceeds support MPS wellness and youth recreation programs.
- Date: Saturday, Aug. 26
- Start Time: 9 a.m.
- Start & Finish Line: Wick Playfield (park in the lot next door, behind the MPS Central Services building: 5225 W. Vliet St.)
- Cost: $5 for youth/$15 for adults ($20 for adults after July 31)
- Fee includes an event t-shirt and race bag.
- Phone/Mail-In registrations accepted until Aug. 18 at 4:30 p.m.
- Online Registration Closes: Aug. 18, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
- Walk-up registration will be available.
- Registration opens on Feb. 6.
- All participants receive a commemorative t-shirt.
- Family-friendly, community event! Strollers welcome, please no dogs. However, service dogs are welcomed.
- All youth participants receive medals.
- Prizes for top-three male and female runners in two age categories.
- Live DJ for entertainment before and after the event
- Replenish after the 5K race/1.5-mile walk with a nutritious snack bag.
- All proceeds benefit youth recreation programs.
Packet Pick-Up Details
- Pre-event race bag pick-up will be Monday, Aug. 21 from 4-6 p.m.
- Pre-registration bags only available through race day.
- NOTE TO SCHOOL/MPS DEPARTMENT TEAMS: Team captains will pick up your entire team's t-shirts and distribute them to you. If you are on a team, do not come to packet pick-up.
Schools can receive up to $1,000 in grants by forming an RBTS team!
Make sure you rally your team for the Run Back to School race and apply for a grant for your school!
Not only will you help kick off the 2023-24 school year with hundreds of local MPS supporters, school communities with at least 25 registered participants are eligible for a $500 grant to support a sport or wellness need in their school! The school with the most registered participants is eligible for a $1,000 grant to support a sport or wellness need in their school! Anyone from the community can join a school team. After the race, school teams who met the minimum participant requirement will need to fill out a form that states how the funds will be used in order to receive the grant.
In the past, schools have used the grant funds for:
- new gym and sports equipment
- new uniforms
- sports registration fees
Nominate a team captain for your school and start your team today! (To sign up for a team, make sure you specify your school during the registration process after you add the race to your cart.)