Celebrate the start of the 2023-24 school year with MPS and Milwaukee Recreation at the 16th annual MPS Run Back to School!
Join us for this 5K run/1.5-mile walk through Washington Park. Proceeds support MPS wellness and youth recreation programs.
Thank you to our sponsors for supporting this event: Educators Credit Union; Edvest; Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin and Metropolitan Chicago; Gabriel, Roeder, Smith & Company (GRS); Gruber Law Offices; United Healthcare; and Voya Financial.
Congratulations to all teams that registered over 25 participants this year, including Bay View Montessori, Fernwood Montessori, German Immersion, Golda Meir, GreenTree Prep, Highland Community School, MacDowell Montessori, Milw. Academy of Science, MPS Finance Dept., MPS Human Resources Dept., Pulaski High School, and Rufus King High School! The team with the most participants will be announced at the post-event awards ceremony.
- Date: Saturday, Aug. 26
- Start Time: 9 a.m. (Registration will close at 8:50 a.m. No participants will be allowed to start the course after 9:10 a.m.)
- Start & Finish Line: Wick Playfield (park in the lot next door, behind the MPS Central Services building: 5225 W. Vliet St.)
- Course Map.
- Wick Playfield Map.
- Phone/Mail-In registrations have ended (were accepted until Aug. 18 at 4:30 p.m.).
- Online Registration has ended (were accepted until Aug. 24 at 1 p.m.).
- Walk-up registration will be available on day of event from 7:30-8:30 a.m.
- Fee includes an event t-shirt and race bag (t-shirt size not guaranteed for participants that register after Aug. 18 deadline).
- All participants receive a commemorative t-shirt (t-shirt size not guaranteed for participants that register after Aug. 18 deadline).
- Family-friendly, community event! Strollers welcome, please no animals. However, service animals are welcomed.
- All youth participants receive medals.
- Medals for top-three male and female runners in five age categories (adult female, adult male, elementary, middle school, high school).
- Live DJ for entertainment before and after the event
- Replenish after the 5K race/1.5-mile walk with a nutritious snack bag.
- All proceeds benefit youth recreation programs.
Packet Pick-Up Details
- Pre-registration bags only available for pick-up on race day (Aug. 26).
- NOTE TO SCHOOL/MPS DEPARTMENT TEAMS: Team captains will be notified when to pick up the entire team's t-shirts and bags and distribute.
Schools can receive up to $1,000 in grants by forming an RBTS team!
Make sure you rally your team for the Run Back to School race and apply for a grant for your school!
Not only will you help kick off the 2023-24 school year with hundreds of local MPS supporters, school communities with at least 25 registered participants are eligible for a $500 grant to support a sport or wellness need in their school! The school with the most registered participants is eligible for a $1,000 grant to support a sport or wellness need in their school! Anyone from the community can join a school team. After the race, school teams who met the minimum participant requirement will need to fill out a form that states how the funds will be used in order to receive the grant.
In the past, schools have used the grant funds for:
- new gym and sports equipment
- new uniforms
- sports registration fees