Friday, June 3, 2022
Are you looking for a summer job? Do you enjoy the arts or want to know more about working in the arts? The Arts Internship Application is now open! There are 64 positions available with 16 different arts organizations for high school students who meet the eligibility requirements. Positions pay a minimum of $9.50 per hour.
The Arts Internship Program is a paid internship program that provides high school students with practical job experience in arts-related positions ranging from 40-400 hours over the summer. Interns explore the arts in an in-depth and applicable way while also gaining job skills.
To be eligible for the program, you must:
- Be at least 16 years of age at the start of work unless the hiring organization indicates that the position or positions are open to students who are 15 years of age or older
- Be a high school equivalent student (or an out-going senior)
- Be a resident of the city of Milwaukee OR currently enrolled in a MPS high school
- Be available to work the internship schedule as determined by the organization and able to attend the mandatory trainings/events:
- Orientation: Friday, June 10 | Time TBD
- Training: Wednesday, July 13 | Time TBD
- Final celebration: Thursday, August 11 | Time TBD
How to Apply
Read the internship descriptions and identify which opportunities are of interest to you. Next, complete and submit the following materials via our online application. You will be asked to upload your letter of interest and list of references later in the application and have a parent/guardian sign your application.
- Arts Internship Student Application (the online application)
- A letter of interest stating why you are interested in the specific internship (If you are applying for a second year, please specify what skills or projects you would like to expand on from last year.)
- A list of 1-3 professional references, including name, relation to you, phone number, and email address (references can include teachers, mentors, coaches, etc.; not family members or friends)
- Any other information requested by the organization
If you prefer to submit a paper application packet, please contact April Heding (April [at] mkerec.net) for instructions.
New this year, Milwaukee Recreation will host two virtual information sessions for high school students to learn more about the program and how to apply, as well as a series of one-on-one application support sessions:
- Information Session 1: Wednesday, April 6 from 3:30 – 4:15 PM via Zoom
- Information Session 2: Wednesday, April 20 from 3:30 – 4:15 PM via Zoom
- One-on-One Application Support Sessions: Ongoing throughout April and May via Zoom. Note: You must attend one of the two information sessions in order to attend any of the one-on-one application support sessions. A link to sign up for a support session will be made available at the information sessions.
Sign up for an information session here.
If you have questions about the program, eligibility requirements or application process, please contact April Heding (April [at] mkerec.net) or (414) 475-8508.